2/12/2010

Snowpocalypse in Texas with a Recipe

I heard that this is the largest snowfall in recorded history for North Texas. It was snowy yesterday, but now, it's just CRAZY!! This is what I saw when I looked out the front door this morning. We lost a limb. Not too bad.



But then I looked across the street...Yikes! A whole tree down! At least it only landed on the car, not the house.


This is a seriously large amount of snow for us. Mr. Sahm took this picture of The Brick House. Really makes it look good, I think.


The kids have been begging and pleading to go outside, and I wanted to have them wait till, oh, at least 8 am. So to keep them busy and make sure their bellies were full of something warm, we made our famous oatmeal muffins, and I would love to share the recipe with everyone. I have posted it before, but it's worth posting again.


OATMEAL MUFFINS




  • 2 eggs

  • 1 cup milk

  • 1/3 cup oil

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 cup oatmeal (it's better if you use the quick cooking kind)

  • 1 1/2 cups flour (I like to use 1 c white flour and 1/2 c whole wheat, It gets some whole wheat in there, but the kids still like it.)

  • 1/3 to 1/2 c something sweet (use whatever you have- honey, brown sugar, white sugar...)

  • 1/2 c chopped nuts (if you like)

  • 2 or 3 fruits (Use whatever you have. Smashed banana, grated apple or pear, raisins, whatever sounds good, about 1/2 cup or so each.)

  • 1 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon



  1. pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

  2. spray muffin tins

  3. mix everything together in one bowl in no particular order

  4. fill muffin cups

  5. bake for 10-15 minutes for mini muffins. (I've never made them in standard muffin size, so I have no idea how long for that...)

Enjoy!


This is a totally flexible recipe. You can substitute like mad. Once, I put in OJ for part of the milk, and added some orange zest and dried cranberries. Super yummy! Serve 'em up with some hot cocoa, and when you've finished as many as you want, throw the rest in a ziploc bag and freeze them. Some morning when you want muffins again in a hurry, just pop them into the oven. Healthy and yummy!


I am linking up with the Over Used Recipe Swap at SimplyModernMom. Check out the great recipes, and link up one so she can get up to her goal of 365!

4 comments:

daph-a-dills said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe, they look delish!!!
Your home is beautiful BTW...and all that snow is refreshing for ua Aussies down under in the middle of the stinking HOT summer LOL.

jenjen said...

Those look so healthy AND delicious! I will have to try that!!
Thanks so much for linking up to my party!!!

XOOX
Jen

Jamie said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love how natural cooks just know to substitute things in recipes--things I would never have thought of, since the cooking gene skipped a generation. Also, Love the Fiesta ware in the photo! :)

Nice, creative blog! I'll be back. Thanks so much for your kind words at Cozy Your Home...More snow here, today...But it is Ohio in February!

Peggy said...

Oh! This look so good!! I would love it, if you would share this, & any other recipes you may have, on my recipe link up. http://goodrecipesonline.com/organized-linkup-for-all-your-recipes-goodrecipesonline-com/.